Debian dual boot with Windows 7

On 05/03/2010 09:57 AM, James Kramer wrote:
> 4.  Can I make an image of Windows 7 using Clonezilla and then
> reinstall the image in a virtual environment?

Regarding this question, the answer is quite possibly no.  If you bought
the computer from an OEM (such as Dell) that uses Microsoft's SLP for
activating the OS (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Locked_Preinstallation), then when
you run the cloned image of the system in a VM, Windows will tell you
that it's not activated - and you won't be able to activate, since the
VM's BIOS won't contain the needed SLP codes.

I ran into this issue when trying to run my WinXP partition under
VirtualBox until I finally realized it wasn't possible, since Dell had
installed SLP on the Windows installation.

HTH,

DR