Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> There are complaints that Linux is becoming more Windows-like :-)
> What happens when you do ctrl-alt-f2. Do you get a prompt? If so, then
> log in and force the X server to reload. Ctrl-alt-backspace is now
> turned off by default.

No such luck. The GPU is locked up and the only way out is the power
button as far as I can tell.

The info from Laura's response
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/554835)
is pointing in a productive direction. It's a kernel bug that can be
worked around by setting a boot-time flag. It affect the Intel 855
graphics chipset (which hardly anyone uses :-). As best I understand it:

- The Kernel mode-setting for that driver has stability problems, so
they disabled it by default in the kernel released with Lucid.
- Starting up a system with kernel mode-setting disabled (at least if it
needs to prompt for encrypted filesystem passphrases, or maybe always)
leads to GPU lockup when the X server starts

which leads to a conundrum - enabling kernel mode-setting is bad, and
disabling kernel mode-setting is bad. But I daresay that disabling it is
badder, and the workaround for now is to burn a change into initramfs
that enables kernel-mode setting.

Nathan