Ubuntu 10.04 Post-Install Guide: What to do and try after installing Lucid Lynx

    Danny> So Lucid is out! What does everyone think of it?

I started running it on my laptop right after beta 1 was released, and
hit more problems than I usually do (I think usually a bit later in the
beta phase), but most of them are fixed now.

There's still something that would be a real showstopper for a less
experienced user. There's something called KMS (see
<http://www.netsplit.com/2010/03/30/all-about-kernel-mode-setting/> for
an explanation) that some computers need to have set and some need
to *not* have set.  In my case, with the released kernel, I have the
wrong setting.  I'm working around it by using the previous kernel.
There's supposedly a fix upstream, and when it works its way downstream,
I'll have a good system, but if I hadn't been using the beta all along,
I would have downloaded the released version, found that it never got to
the login screen, and installed something else.

I've also tried the Netbook Remix on my new netbook, and found that
while there were a lot of intelligent decisions that went into what
software to install and what settings to default to, the default power
management hangs the system if you leave it on battery power for a
couple of hours.

Anyway, I think the moral of the story is to get an LTS version working
and then forget about upgrading until you have to for some reason.

--
Laura   (mailto:lconrad-O0WJhd4tT3hg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org)
(617) 661-8097	233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

There is no such thing as bad publicity except your own obituary.

Brendan Behan (1923 - 1964)