Looking for a SAS to USB adaptor

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 08:38:20AM -0400, Chandler, Scott wrote:
> My understanding is that SAS is an extension of SATA (that statement is probably an over simplification) so SATA drives will work on SAS controllers but SAS won't necessarily work on SATA controllers like the one on your desktop motherboard.
>
> Anyone with more knowledge on the subject, please clarify.

Serial Attached SCSI uses the same physical connectors for data
and power as SATA (and thus the same cables) but uses a
different protocol. Most, possibly all, SAS controllers can
recognize and fall back to SATA when such a disk is plugged in.
SATA controllers cannot deal with SAS disks.

SAS is more flexible than SATA, and disks and controllers are
more expensive. Dual-interface disks are possible, which can
talk to two controllers at once.

-dsr-