Laptop Failure Modes (was Re: iPad)

On Apr 13, 2010, at 2:18 AM, Ian Stokes-Rees wrote:

> Mac Book Pro (15", early 2008):
> screen: several erratic vertical lines
> optical drive replaced
> logic board replaced once, to be replaced again tomorrow
> power supply failed
> 2 batteries malfunctioning (possibly due to bad logic board and/or
> faulty power supply)

I have the same model, with display and logic board replaced under warranty.  I'm typing this message on it right now.

The absolute worst notebook failure I've ever experienced was a WinBook FX.  I went to lunch one afternoon.  When I came back I found that it had shut down.  The CPU had overheated so much that the bottom case had warped, deformed so badly that the battery popped out.  Aside from the shock of the meltdown I was surprised that it didn't start a fire.

--Rich P.