iPad

On 4/11/2010 3:43 PM, Dan Ritter wrote:

> Somewhere upstream in this thread, somebody said that Apple is an
> experience company. That's right. The experience that Apple is moving
> towards is Disneyland. (I owe somebody else royalties on that thought,
> it's perfect.)

The allusion to Disney is originally (so far as I know) from Neal
Stephenson's classic essay "In the Beginning was the Command Line",
which is downloadable at http://www.cryptonomicon.com/beginning.html

Cory Doctorow does make his anti-iPad case well in his own essay at
http://boingboing.net/2010/04/02/why-i-wont-buy-an-ipad-and-think-you-shouldnt-either.html

Personally I won't go as far as Martin's position of wanting to make the
iPad illegal. But I won't be buying one, and won't recommend buying one
to anybody; I'm simply not interested in owning a computer where
somebody has veto power over the applications I can run. If a comparable
but more open product comes along, such as the Android slates that
people have been demonstrating -- and, importantly, offers comparable 3G
pricing, especially if it involves a carrier other than AT&T (another
discussion, if we want to have that one we should take it to another
thread) -- I could recommend that.