iPad

On Apr 11, 2010, at 2:39 PM, Bill Horne wrote:

> This means that (if Apples succeeds) my hard-won expertise and long
> training will soon be useless, and I'll have to learn how to sell
> insurance or trade stocks or go back to the plumbing trade, or something
> else I'm entirely unprepared for. I'm scared.

I'm not.  There will always be a need for skilled sysadmins.  That will never change.  What will change is what skills a "skilled" sysadmin needs.  Twenty years ago that was SMTP, DNS, and the like.  Ten years ago it was web servers and services.  Today it's elastic clouds and high-performance clusters.  I can't predict what it will be ten years from now but there will be something for me to do.

--Rich P.