iPad

Richard,

On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 14:34 -0400, Richard Pieri wrote:
> Again, I don't see the lack of Java being a bad thing.  The iPhone
> platform isn't a general purpose computing platform.  It's not your PC
> or Mac.  It's an appliance like your iPod or TV set or microwave oven.

Right, and your microwave oven has add on third party modules called
"food" that can only be bought from the microwave manufacturer's food
store and in order to use the microwave with non-certified "food"
products you have to unlock it breaking the warranty. Bovine-droppings!

Consider the idea that there is a set of functionality that is intended
and that one of those functions is clearly a programmable, Turing
complete extension system. Why then is this functionality controlled,
centralised and vetted? It is nothing short of a product for sale that
is in fact never truly owned.

Apple as a company are an affront to the nature of social freedom, the
fact that their own sensibilities does not stop their malignancy is more
telling of the situation we find ourselves in as a culture. To further
this, that there is no set of laws and regulations to stop their kind of
abuse of power, this mis-sale of non-property to the general public is a
terrible oversight.

Of course I fully expect you to make excuses and attempt to pardon their
behaviour as some how customary of the times and/or nature of the
industry, or worse, that the authoritarianism is some how good for us
through technical control.

I don't accept any of those and I won't be party to any of these
products.

Martin,

Give me liberty and give me bugs.