Comcast encrypts extended basic channels

Bill Bogstad wrote:
>> Did I see a post from you more recently on MythTV users indicating that you
>> had received notice from Comcast that the clear QAM was going away?
>
> Yes.

According to this mythtv-users thread:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/427417#427417

in some markets Comcast isn't notifying their customers, they're just
enabling encryption.

Someone in the thread explains the reason for the switch to encryption
was that "the FCC lifted the ban on encrypting basic service." More on
that here:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/398697?search_string=fcc%20dta;#398697

If true, we might be able to do something about this by filing complains
here:
http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

Comcast certainly won't like it, but they could accomplish their
anti-piracy goals by installing pole filters on the drops for the
minority of subscribers who are signed up for basic-only.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA