iPad

On Apr 7, 2010, at 12:52 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

> All I said was "MS was sued for bundling IE with windows" and "MS is not

Which is untrue.  Microsoft was not sued for bundling IE with Windows.  Microsoft was sued for not allowing OEMs to bundle other browsers with Windows.

> That so?  "Opera's engineers have developed a version of Opera Mini that can
> run on an Apple iPhone, but Apple won't let the company release it because
> it competes with Apple's own Safari browser"
>
> http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2008/10/apple-says-no-to-iphone-opera-brow
> ser.ars

Bzzt.  Thank you for playing:
http://daringfireball.net/2008/11/opera_app_store
If it was never submitted then it couldn't have been rejected.

That said, Opera did finally submit a browser to the App Store last week.  As noted, it is still pending approval.

> Droid does.   ;-)

Android... sucks.  I've used it, not on a smartphone but elsewhere.  It's awful.  Maemo is better.  Android is better than OpenZaurus but not by much.  Oh, by the way, add a Sharp SL-5600 to that list of devices I've owned.  Also an iPaq of some flavor I don't remember, running both WinCE and the iPaq Linux port based on OpenZaurus.

> The reason apple blocks programming languages is to force developers to buy
> apple laptops and workstations to develop their apps in XCode,

You are again mistaken.  It's a real pain in the behind to do it without the IDE and Simulator but it can be done.

> and to ensure users cannot circumvent the app store.

Never mind that of all the portable devices I've owned over the years, my iPod Touch is by far the most stable.  Never mind that prohibiting interpreters and run-times blocks about 99.999999999999% of the malware vectors out there today.

--Rich P.