iPad

> From: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org [mailto:discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org] On
> Behalf Of Richard Pieri
>
> On Apr 6, 2010, at 9:15 PM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> >
> > Let me put it this way:  MS was sued for bundling IE with Windows.
> But
>
> You are mistaken.  The key points in the IE lawsuits are ...

All I said was "MS was sued for bundling IE with windows" and "MS is not
allowed to distribute IE with Windows in EU."  I am not knocking apple for
including safari.  I am knocking apple for blocking anything other than
safari.  Where am I mistaken?  The "key points" reasoning behind the lawsuit
against MS, are not contradictory to what I've said.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/06/windows-7-to-be-shipped-in-eur
ope-sans-internet-explorer.ars

> > The iPad and iPhone prohibit you from installing anything other than
> > safari.
>
> You are mistaken.  Apple has yet to prohibit a full-fledged third-party
> browser.

That so?  "Opera's engineers have developed a version of Opera Mini that can
run on an Apple iPhone, but Apple won't let the company release it because
it competes with Apple's own Safari browser"

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2008/10/apple-says-no-to-iphone-opera-brow
ser.ars

> > They prohibit flash.
>
> So... Apple is evil for not opening up everything about iPad but Adobe
> is good despite Flash being 100% proprietary.  I smell a double-
> standard here.

I'm not promoting flash.  I'm just knocking apple for blocking it.  They
block anything resembling a programming language.
Same thing for java.

> > And google voice.
>
> I've not used it, but:
> http://www.google.com/mobile/voice/
> works on iPhone and iPod Touch.

Dropping that link here is evidence that you've never used it.  One of the
most valuable features of google voice is the ability to send/receive SMS
messages for free.  Now, in order to receive SMS for free, you need a data
connection, and you either need "push" capabilities, or a background app
which can poll for new messages.  Neither one of which can be done on the
iPhone, because apple rejected the google voice app (it "duplicates
functionality" of the iPhone) and apple can't multitask to allow the web
interface to stay active in the background to poll the server.

The app store is so hypocritical and subjective in their decisions ...
http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2009/09/02/vonage-goes-where-google-voice-cant-t
he-app-store/

> > And java.  And a million other
>
> Again, I don't see the lack of Java being a bad thing.  The iPhone
> platform isn't a general purpose computing platform.  It's not your PC
> or Mac.  It's an appliance like your iPod or TV set or microwave oven.

Droid does.   ;-)

The reason apple blocks programming languages is to force developers to buy
apple laptops and workstations to develop their apps in XCode, and to ensure
users cannot circumvent the app store.