Tape vs disk cost

On 3/28/2010 11:12 AM, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> Tapes when properly recorded, handled  and stored provide the
> best cost per byte.

Looks like this is still true, but only if you're storing a LOT of
bytes. I looked up media sizes and prices; the current state of the art
appears to be LTO Ultrium 4, which are tapes that hold 800GB without
compression; using the compressed figures that are often quoted is
unfair because similar compression can be used on other media as well.
(Smaller tapes use less expensive tape drives, but have a higher cost
per gigabyte of space; in most cases more than the current cost of hard
disks, so they'll NEVER be attractive in a pure economic sense.) Newegg
currently lists them at $38, for a cost of 4.75 cents per gigabyte.
Right now Newegg is listing 2TB hard drives for $150 (1TB and 1.5TB
drives are around the same cost per GB) which comes to 7.5 cents per
gigabyte. Sounds like a significant difference... until you factor in
the nearly $1800 cost of the tape drive, and unless you already have a
system with a server-class motherboard, some money for the SAS interface
to plug it into. (Call it $2000 total in round numbers.) You have to get
to over 700 terabytes of stored data before you break even, and that's
assuming you're willing to own only one tape drive.

I'm comparing the costs of bare hard drives with no cases or carriers.
If you want to level the playing field a bit you'll add some variable
costs for those, and possibly a bit of fixed cost if you choose some
sort of slide-in carrier system rather than USB or eSATA cases. The
least expensive eSATA cases on Newegg are under $20, which would only
increase the cost per gigabyte by one cent. (I think you can go cheap on
these without much risk, as the simplest eSATA cases are just an
enclosure and some connectors and cables; very little to fail.) The
breakeven point still comes at over 500 terabytes of data.

An interesting question remains: what is the long term stability of
cheap SATA drives sitting on a shelf? Can you plug in a drive after 2 or
5 or 10 years of inactivity and expect it to work? And a secondary
question; will you be able to find a computer with a compatible port to
connect it to? (Tape has a similar problem with long-term compatibility;
if your tape drive dies 10 years down the road you might have trouble
buying a new drive that can read your old tapes.) It's only recently
that such an archive of disk drives made any economic sense for anybody,
so there isn't much experience to call on.