Linux on netbooks

I'd have to agree with your wife. I got my first netbook with Linux
pre-installed, and after struggling with it for a couple months,
I finally wiped the drive and reinstalled Linux.

As for dual-booting, I didn't bother. I ended up just getting a second
netbook for running Windows. 160gb wasn't really enough to split
between the two OSes.

the 1024x600 screen is a bit cramped; I'd be tempted to get one
with higher resolution and more RAM, if they exist yet and if the cost,
battery life, and weight are still reasonable.