avi to gif

I've used player in the past for this.

    mplayer -vo png file.avi

Instead of playing the video in a window, this writes each frame of
the video into a PNG image file in the current directory.

The -vo option tells mplayer to use a specific video output driver,
in the above example, one that writes frames to PNG files.Other
drivers include "gif89a" for GIF and "jpeg" for JPEG.

If you don't want to listen to the audio, add the option "-ao null".