notifications via SMS

Tom Metro wrote:

> That sounds like an accurate assessment, but the budget solution might
> still come in handy in some situations. Consider, for example, that if
> the software and compatible phone hardware has already been figured out,
> you could add out-of-band notifications for the cost of a phone ($20)
> and pre-paid plan ($100/yr). (Although as I recall the "telemetry" phone
> service the author purchased only cost $120/year. So really the savings
> is just in convenience (phone and pre-paid service can be bought
> anywhere) and hardware. It'd be more of a bargain if you could put
> multiple phones/SIMs on a single pre-paid plan.)
>
> Has anyone tried it?

Heh, I probably should've posted that discussion here, too.  Glad you
brought it up here.  I had seen some articles on the net about using an
old Nokia phone.  Can't recall where the articles were.  It is a cheap
budget way to do it, but the phone would be plugged into a specific
server which would have to 'host' it, whereas with the Multitech device
it lives on the network alone where anything can utilize it.

Ryan