From: Lim, Seung Chan
Sender: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org
To: BLU
Subject: Re: Is the command line the only way to free software?
Sent: Mar 16, 2010 11:24 PM

> What does "free" have to do with the command line? Isn't the entire X
> Windows ?GUI "free software"?

Well, let me rephrase my question.... By "free software" I mean how
software can give us the freedom to take charge of our own lives.
Empower us to not only gain access to information, but also produce
new information, to take existing information and to synthesize them
in new ways that gives us a whole new perspective in life, to see more
choices than we previously thought we had. As in allowing us to be
creative, and to take matters into our own hands. To be able to do it
yourself.

The command line is wonderful in this regard. With enough patience we
can program just about anything we want, and make the computer do
whatever we want. It is amazing. But what about the non-programmers?
Can they get in on the action, too? My mom can go buy a few pieces of
wood, a hammer, and some nails and make new furniture for her house.
She feels empowered to make stuff for herself, but she sure as hell
doesn't feel the same about computers and the vast amounts of
information that is present at this day and age... Do we care about
this? Is this significant? Are there things people are already
thinking about?

I guess that's my question... I'm genuinely curious what the linux
community thinks about this. If it is even a subject of interest....

Here's a video I recently made thinking about this.

http://vimeo.com/8184534

Maybe you'll find it amusing. :)

slim