Is the command line the only way to free software?

And, if I recall, the X Window system itself predates Microsoft Windows,
although it was not free back in the 1980s. Just about all GUI software
on Linux platforms is "free" or open source software.
One of the things I like about Unix and Linux systems is that many of
the GUI programs actually call command line utilities. One example is
K3B. Basically, you don't need the command line to install and run Linux
on a cellphone, laptop, or desktop system. But the command line in Linux
and Unix systems is an extremely powerful tool.

---
In reality, when Linux boots up, it generally spawns several getty
processes before X becomes active. I suppose you could turn them off and
still have a fully operational system.

On 03/17/2010 02:07 AM, John Chambers wrote:
> Lim, Seung Chan wrote:
> | Argh, I wish I could be there at the conference! Unfortunately I
> | already have plans.
> |
> | But on the subject..
> |
> | I want to ask you all what you guys think about the future of free so=
ftware.

> | Is the command line the only way to free software?
> |
> | Is there a radically new OS that does away with the command line yet
> | still achieves the goal of empowering individuals with the freedom to=

> | do what they want with the computer?
>
> What does "free" have to do with the command line? Isn't the entire X
> Windows  GUI "free software"?
>
>  =20

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix