Reminder -- RAID 5 is not your friend

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010, Kent Borg wrote:

> Richard Pieri wrote:
>> And neither is RAID 1.  Except when you get lucky.
>>
>> I had a failure over the weekend.  Two mirrored pairs, A1/A2 B1/B2 configuration.  A2 and B1 failed simultaneously.
>
> Sounds like it is *disks* that are not your friend. And, that they hate
> you enough that your use of raid isn't enough to save you.
>
> My conclusions:
>
> 1. don't run matched disks from the same manufacturer and lot
> 2. watch disk temperature
> 3. watch smartmon for indications of aging
> 4. replace disks before they die
> 5. use your replacements as an opportunity to get your pairs staggered
> 6. have backups that at minimum are ping-ponged, current, and physically
> offline
> 7. goto #1...

In most cases this is not a case of simultaneous failure due to common
disk wear or defects, or power supply events, or controller problems. In
most cases of apparent simultaneous failure Disk 2 has a bad sector that
has never been written to. Such a sector can remain undisturbed for the
life of the disk, or until the RAID software attempts to sync with another
disk. When Disk 1 fails (and is noticed by the RAID software) and is
replaced the sync starts copying Disk 2 to the new Disk 1 and runs until
the bad sector on Disk 2 is encountered, at which point it announces the
fact that Disk 2 has failed. But it didn't fail during the sync - it was
probably bad from day 1, and if written to would have been remapped
transparently to the user and the Raid software. But sync doesn't write
before reading. The only good thing is that data can still be read in
degraded mode, and copied to another disk.

This is why simultaneous failures are so common in practice, even though
statistically they should be quite rare.

Daniel Feenberg