Waiting for Verizon..

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Ethan Schwartz <ethan.boston-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

>>> I looked at another FIOS install video that YouTube linked to yours,
>>> and the person in that video indicated that they were getting
>>> Internet
>>> service via a cable modem, but fed from FIOS. That doesn't sound
>>> right. The ONT is supposed to have an Ethernet jack. Isn't that the
>>> case with your installation? (Maybe its a regional difference.)
>> As it turns out, if you have business class service, they feed you the
>> internet connection over cat5 directly from the ONT. If you have
>> residential, they pull the internet off the coaxial which comes from
>> the
>> ONT. Maybe this is the way the manage the port blocking rules between
>> business class and residential class service?
>>>

> I have residential service and it's fed via cat5 from the ONT.
>
> The "cable modem" is really a router + MoCA gateway.
>
> MoCA is used to for the STB network and can also feed the router with
> it's Internet connection, it's just a way to simplify installation as
> nearly all homes have coax, where as few have cat5... saves the techs
> from doing wire pulls.
>
> It's not specifically the source of any port blocking, unless you
> count the routers user configurable firewall.
>
> There have been extensive writeups about it (and options for
> configuration) on sites like dslreports.com

Yeah, rumor has it, current FiOS residential installs default to using
MoCA from the ONT to the provided router, but you can request that
they run Cat5 instead -- just say you plan to provide your own router.
Same difference, if you're using their router, but I'd definitely make
the request for Cat5. Agree with Ethan, its definitely not the source
of any port blocking, that gets done outside your house (if it gets
done).

/me just upgraded his business FiOS connection at home a few weeks
ago... For a mere $5/mo more, I'm now getting 25Mbps both directions
(up from the prior 20up/5down connection speeds). :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org