Waiting for Verizon..

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> Speaking of Verizon vs Comcast, what is the overall quality of service
> from both companies, and, technically, quality of voice service,
> between service through Comcast's voice options and through FIOS?

I think I have more TV channels on Verizon than I do on Comcast.  Voice
doesn't seem any worse or better.  Internet seems better, but I don't
have any hard data - data download speeds are all over the map, so it's
tough to do a 1-1 comparison.  The only experience I had with either STB
was the Comcast HD DVR for a few months before I got a Tivo and never
looked back.
> I'd like to save money through a package deal, but I don't want to
> have to have the demarc moved from its current location.    Last I
> heard, phone service had to be routed through a special box inside the
> house using Comcast's method, and I don't want to have to rely on VOIP
> should power/Internet service go down.

This is true for both FIOS and Comcast, but both boxes have a battery to
keep phone service operational in case the power goes out.  It's good
for a while (a few days?).  Fortunately I haven't had to test it for
either service.

-Mark