Waiting for Verizon..

Good questions... read answers below..

On 03/15/2010 01:12 AM, Tom Metro wrote:
> Stephen Adler wrote:
>> Hey guys... You may be interested in my latest vlogs... I call it
>> "Waiting for Verizon"
>> http://stephenadler.org/tiki-index.php?page=Verizon+Installation+Vlog
>
> The first video took 10 minutes to illustrate that cable companies are
> bad at keeping appointments. I think I could have waited for the
> novelization. :-)
>
> The second video was more interesting.
>
> Didn't the difficulty you had in dealing with Verizon give you second
> thoughts as to whether you can rely on them as an ISP?
Yes... that's why I'm keeping my current Comcast service for at least a
couple of weeks...

> Have you since pinned down what your up and down speeds are? It wasn't
> clear why this was open-ended. Unlike DSL, where line quality is a
> factor, shouldn't the speeds be entirely predictable in advance by
> Verizon, and spelled out in your contract?
I just posted my "epilogue" vlogs where I do some benchmarking. Spoiler
alert... I get symmetric 25/25 performance.

> Did you purchase business-class service? I assume yes, given your
> mention of static IPs.
yup.

> Do you pan to run servers (I assume yes), and if so, are you
> comfortable with the terms of use Verizon imposes?
As best as I know, there is no port blocking and I can do anything I
want. Maybe there is some fine print I didn't read?

> What did the data portion of your service end up costing? Did you
> commit to a contract?
The total service is about $220/month including phone, TV and internet.
I think its around $100 something for the 5 static IPs.

> You mentioned having your analog phone service disabled. Did you
> consider requesting that they leave the copper in place? (Your video
> didn't depict the removal if the copper.)
The wiring is still in place, but the Verizon guy disconnected the
outside line form the inside so that he could feed the inside phone with
the line coming from the ONT, (the fiber box thing he installed in the
basement.)

> I looked at another FIOS install video that YouTube linked to yours,
> and the person in that video indicated that they were getting Internet
> service via a cable modem, but fed from FIOS. That doesn't sound
> right. The ONT is supposed to have an Ethernet jack. Isn't that the
> case with your installation? (Maybe its a regional difference.)
As it turns out, if you have business class service, they feed you the
internet connection over cat5 directly from the ONT. If you have
residential, they pull the internet off the coaxial which comes from the
ONT. Maybe this is the way the manage the port blocking rules between
business class and residential class service?