gnome termnal question

Hi folks,

so I do a lot of work in a lot of terminals across some 25 servers. I do
99% of this work in gnome terminal as I like the tabbing and all the
bells and whistles. However it has a 'missing feature' that my coworker
has on his windows system (secureCRT). Sometimes I am idle on a server
for a period of time that is longer than the default timeout set by the
server's sshd_config. Obviously I get logged out. This is a pain when I
am tailing '-f' a file that has no output for periods of time. The
secureCRT has a feature where it pings the connection if there is no
human or server real activity, thus keeping the connection open and
alive. Is there any way of setting gnome terminal to do the same thing?

I know I could just lengthen or remove the default timeout on the
server, but I am not the only person going on it, and I dont want to
open up the possibility of everyone else leaving SSH terms open all over
the place, sucking resources etc ....

Any thoughts suggestions welcome :)

Richard

--