Password vault programs for Linux, Windows, Smartphones

On 03/10/2010 02:12 PM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> On 03/10/2010 09:59 AM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
>
>> As I have migrated all my information over to my new Android I've
>> decided to get paranoid. In the past, I had kept some information on
>> Palm then Blackberry Memo Pad. On the Palm, you could password protect
>> some, but not on either Blackberry or Windows. I did try to use KeepPass
>> on the Blackberry, but it caused the Blacklberry Desktop manager on
>> Windows to crash. My requirements are:
>> 1. Cross platform Android, Windows, and Linux.
>> 2. Be able to syncronize the data bases. Storing the data base on the
>> microSD would work since it is available when plugging in the Android.
>> 3. In creating an entry I need to be able to cut and paste (If I recall
>> I was not able to do this with either of the password managers I tried
>> on Blackberry.
>>
>> There are a number of password managers for Android, but the only 3 that
>> I know of are fully cross platform. I'm just looking for suggestions at
>> this point.
>> Keeppass                        Open Source
>> KeeppassX                      Open Source - Originally based on Keeppass
>> Keeper data vault          Closed Source - Free for Android (and other
>> Smartphones) $$ for Linux and Windows
>>

>> A couple of other comments on the Motorola Backflip. When you connect it
>> to either Windows of Linux, it asks you whether or not to share the
>> microSD or whether you are just charging the device. So far, it does
>> everything I expect it to do and more.
>>
> PasswordMaker isn't a password vault, but rather a password generator.
> It generates a unique password for every site, based on a master
> password.  I've been using it for quite a while now, and like it a lot.
>
> It can run either as a plugin to Firefox, or as a Javascript-embedded
> HTML page.  So in theory, if your smartphone can handle JavaScript/HTML,
> it sounds like PasswordMaker might satisfy your requirements.

I was just reading up on it. It appears to be much more portable in that
it requires a master password combined with the site URL to generate a
unique password. I like the idea of not having a password vault, and the
LOTR flavor of their trademark "One Password to Rule Them All". As long
as I don't get chased by a 500 year-old zombie hobbit :-)

Though the real issue with all of these is that you want a master
password that you can easily remember, but that is hard for others to
guess.

--
Jerry Feldman<gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org>
Boston Linux and Unix