OT: What we want are things that work; what we get is technology

My two cents: Get another WRT54G -- the "GL" model is more expensive,
actually "supported" as a Linux-running device, and should be under $100.
(Although being "N" compatible might put you over the $100 mark -- I didn't
shop for that myself.)

I was in more or less the same boat as you, and after staring at the shelves
in Microcenter while consulting Amazon for an hour, I gave up and got the
WRT54GL. I put DD-WRT on it and we're all happy again at home.

Home wireless routers are a weird device class; they're kinda mature enough
to become commodity, but the commodity models are crap and they squeeze
profitability out of the non-crap ones.

And the Linksys WRT54 series... I've accepted the fact that they last 1.5 to
2.5 years, fall apart, and have to be replaced. During the functional period
of their lives they're a great platform for DD-WRT.

Brendan Kidwell