OT: What we want are things that work; what we get is technology

So I'm shopping for a new Wireless router to replace my WRT54G which
likes to go on vacation too much, requiring CPR.  I have a couple of
Staples Rewards coupons, so I would like to buy it at a Staples store.
My needs are simple enough; Wireless N, 4 or more ports, would be nice
if it was DD-WRT compatible.  Recommendations welcome.

Which brings me to the rant portion of my email.  The thing that's got
me is at the Staples and Amazon website, even the $100+ units have a
striking number of very low reviews, even when you filter out the idiots
that couldn't assemble a sandwich.

I know a wireless router is not a trivial device (it's pretty much a
single board computer), but how can top manufacturers produce expensive
units that regularly lock up or disconnect?  Can nearly 30% of the
reviewers experience pilot error?

Help me understand.