another Comcast head-end goes digital

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 9:16 AM, Richard Pieri <richard.pieri-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Jan 31, 2010, at 3:13 PM, Richard Pieri wrote:
>>
>> I'll update when things change.
>
> Going on a month later and nothing has changed. ?No ClearQAM for broadcast TV.
>
> The head-end conversion to "all digital" is actually only for channels above 29, the so-called "expanded basic" channels. ?I suppose that's Comcast MA's workaround for the regs: as long as they provide analog broadcast TV they don't have to provide an unencrypted digital signal.
>
> Except... Comcast is still transmitting "expanded basic" in analog NTSC.
>
> Beats me. ?Maybe more proof that Comcrap -- I'm sorry. ?Xfinity -- can't do anything right the first time.

Weird.  I'm still getting Basic, Expanded Basic, and some other
channels as ClearQAM in Cambridge.
In some cases, I get two ClearQAM signals for OTA channels,  the
original HD as well as a downsampled SD ClearQAM channel.  I wonder if
this has anything to do with individual contracts that Comcast has
with the various towns.  Last time I checked, the Basic channels were
still available as analog NTSC as well.  I guess I should cross my
fingers.

Bill Bogstad