OT: I hate RCN's DVR

Hi all,
I know this is OT, but this DVR is killing me. It's a Motorola DCT3416 from
RCN. I had the same DVR with Comcast and had no problems, but the RCN DVR
software seems to be much worse. The main issue is that it records multiples
of the same episodes of shows with the same descriptions, which fills up the
DVR and causes the DVR box to throw out higher-priority recordings. Oy. Does
anyone have any suggestions? (other than "suck it up")

Thanks,
Gordon