Backing up sparse files ... VM's and TrueCrypt ... etc

> Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> > .         Never use --sparse when creating an archive that is
> > compressed.  It's pointless, and doubles the time to create archive.
> >
> > .         Yes, use --sparse during extraction, if the contents
> contain a
> > lot of serial 0's and you want the files restored to a sparse state.
> >
> > The man page saying "using '--sparse' is not needed on extraction" is
> > misleading.  It's technically true - you don't need it - but it's
> > misleading - yes you need it if you want the files to be extracted
> sparsely.
>
> Have you confirmed that through code inspection or experimentation?

I'll test it right now...

I have a 400Mb sparse file, junk.tc, occupying 1.06 Mb on disk.

$ time tar cf - junk.tc | gzip --fast > junk.tc.tar.gz
real    0m3.688s
(junk.tc.tar.gz is 2.79 Mb)

$ time tar cf - --sparse junk.tc | gzip --fast > junk.tc.sparse.tar.gz
real    0m33.130s
(junk.tc.sparse.tar.gz is 1.04 Mb)

If I extract the non-sparse tar.gz file as non-sparse ... I get a nonsparse
result.  As expected.

If I extract the non-sparse tar.gz file as sparse ... I get a nonsparse
result.  Bah.

If I extract the sparse tar.gz, without using the --sparse switch ... I get
a sparse file.

Apparently I was wrong.  Apparently you have no choice about it.  If you
want to backup a sparse file with tar, you have to waste a bunch of time,
and you have to use the --sparse option during archive creation.

> Also consider that the code to detect strings of zeros seems to be on
> the read side (based on the man page description). On extraction, it
> wouldn't make sense to expand the unused portions to strings of zeros,
> then follow that by code that detects the zeros and seeks past them to
> write a sparse file.

My expectation was:  on extraction, detect strings of 0's, and make them
holes.

> > ...you may be overestimating the time to read or md5sum all the 0's
> > in the hole of sparse files.
>
> Perhaps, but...
>
> > The hypothetical sparse_cat would improve performance, but just
> > marginally.
>
> ...it would eliminate the need for a two-pass read with tar. And if
> summing zeros is fast, why is rsync so slow in your experiments?

Well, I've demonstrated you can sum the 0's very quickly, but I don't yet
know why rsync stinks at this.

> (A literal sparse_cat (drop-in replacement for cat) wouldn't actually
> be
> that useful, as you need to communicate to the process receiving the
> stream the byte offset for each chunk of data, assuming you want to be
> able to reconstruct the sparse file later with the same holes. So
> practically speaking, this is something you'd have to integrate into
> tar, gzip, rsync, or whatever archiver you're using.
>
> It sounds like it would be a small project to patch tar to use the
> fcntl, as it already has a data structure figured out for recording the
> holes. But you'd still need additional hacks to do incremental
> transfers. So the bigger win would be patching rsync.)

I do plan on writing an experimental python script.  Not that it'll actually
be useful, but at least prove the concept.  And then maybe the rsync guys
will care.  Don't know.