SSD in regular laptop? or Accelerometer?

On 2/18/2010 7:47 AM, Bill Ricker wrote:

> b) is a modern large (60GB or 128GB) SSD usable as a straight replacement
> for a PATA/IDE laptop drive, or do I need to prevent swap/hibernate and
> remount multiple directories as tempfs , noatime, border, with erase
> alignment, etc? web pages offer different opinions, debunking each other.

Should work fine as a drop-in replacement. I do recommend using noatime
on flash file systems to lessen the wear on the SSD (all the filesystems
on my netbook are mounted that way) but the other changes should be
unnecessary. I don't use any swap partition on the netbook (and I don't
have space for it on the thing's tiny 4GB SSD - I could put a swap
partition on the SD card that is always installed if I really felt the
need) but it has 2GB of RAM. If you want hibernate support you'll need
swap space; suspend doesn't require it.

The challenge will be to find a reasonably priced PATA SSD in the 2.5"
form factor; most of them are SATA. They do exist however, or you might
be able to use one of the 1.8" drives with an adapter.