Tips/advice for successful community funded (marketing) projects?

Thanks guys, if anybody has other good fundraising ideas, please post them!

So far, there seem to be a few different ways to fundraise:

   - Holding regular events where people can make small donations
      - Does anybody have any creative ideas for events (besides
      installfests) where this could be successful? I'd like to
organize a booth
      on the street in a popular part of the city to showcase Ubuntu
   - Buying something in bulk and selling (the Ubuntu Massachusetts team did
   this with aluminum Ubuntu case
badges<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MassachusettsTeam/Projects/AluminiumCaseBadges>
   )
      - What else have people sold, or think might be good to sell?
   - Just plain old announcing a project and looking for funders (Ubuntu
   Massachusetts is doing this with Anime
Boston<http://ubuntu-massachusetts.com/events/9/>
   )
      - Any ideas on how to do this more effectively?
   - Other methods you can think of?