How do you disable your synaptic trackpad in Ubuntu

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 10:30 AM, David Kramer <david-8uUts6sDVDvs2Lz0fTdYFQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> One of the many issues I had upgrading to Karmic (I'm working on a
> comprehensive list) what the mouse configuration tool that comes with it
> no longer lets you disable the trackpad, which constantly makes the
> cursor jump while I'm typing due to my monstrous hands.

Frankly, I'm just glad to know that I'm not alone. What's worse for me is
that on my work laptop (a macbook pro), when I'm mousing around normally,
sometimes the heel of my other hand will be resting on the touchpad, making
the computer think that I'm asking it to zoom in or out. AARGH!

Gordon