Single-signon (Subversion, Apache etc)

I'm in the middle of rolling out an OpenLDAP server to act as the
heart of my 'single sign-on' infrastructure in an intranet environment
that includes shared network storage and web application access plus
services like version control.  Unfortunately, many of the "howto"s
out there reference older or deprecated systems

* LDAP is now on version 3 (2 is officially outdated)
* LDAP now uses ldap as it's configuration backend (a recursive /
chicken & egg problem for those who are just getting started)
* the wikipedia page references Howtos that are outdated or incomplete

The Apache Directory project talks about a "Renaissance of LDAP" [1]
which makes me wonder: "What do people do these days to establish a
single source of Authentication, Authorization, Group and resource
information?

The debathena project looks promising in the sense of established and
functionally complete but also very light on documentation.

I guess part of my problem is that I'm reaching the limits of my
System and Networking Administration skills.  :-)

Greg Rundlett

[1] http://directory.apache.org/community%26resources/ldap-renaissance.html