Slightly off topic - Ebooks

On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 09:43:06AM -0500, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> > Yes. Don't buy DRM'd books. Wait for another year or so; the
> > market will sort itself out,
>
> That's crazy.  The publishing industry will never release electronic format
> materials without enforceable piracy prevention.  The best you can possibly
> hope for, at any time in the future, is a reader that's compatible with
> multiple publishers' formats, or for the publishers to agree on a single
> format.  But you can rest assured, it will have DRM.  Possibly a newer
> version of DRM than what's currently available, but DRM nonetheless.

The music industry will never release electronic format
materials without enforceable piracy prevention.

iTunes and Amazon and Walmart and MP3Tunes don't count.

Also, you should know by now that there is no such thing as
enforceable piracy prevention.

The Amazon encryption, for example, can be bypassed by the
original purchaser with a fairly short Python script.

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.