Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10 upgrade

Thanks to all who responded to this question. A few follow-up comments
below.

Tom Metro wrote:
> The other thing I saw noted were a bunch problems with proprietary
> nvidia drivers, which I happen to be using:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/464591
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-180/+bug/438398
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-180/+bug/474917
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-180/+bug/456637

One of these tickets recommending setting an option for the NVidia
driver to disable a power saving mode. (For some users, with out this,
graphics didn't work at all.) I figure it's easier to add it now, rather
than trying to paste it in from a console later. Since adding it, it has
made a very noticeable difference in the system's fan speed/run time.
Clearly something I'll want to remove post-upgrade, if it isn't needed.

David Kramer wrote:
> - The biggest one, probably due to MythTV, is that my server ended up with
> an incompatible mix of mysql 5.0 and 5.1 packages.

I noticed the release note about the MySQL upgrade, but don't anticipate
a problem, as I'm not sure I'm using it for anything on this box. Lets
see...nope, only the client libraries are installed.

> - Also related to MythTV was that it wrote its own default apache vhost,
> so mythweb came up when I went to http://www.thekramers.net

I use 8.04 LTS for my MythTV back-end, so as to avoid disruption. Though
8.04 is feeling rather long in the tooth these days.

> - It overwrote my bashrc.local.  The whole point of bashrc.local is you
> put your stuff in it and it doesn't get trashed by OS upgrades.

Did you file a bug?

> Other than that, I was a little disappointed in the incosistency of the UI
> during upgrading.  Whenever it needed to overwrite a config file, there
> were two or three different styles of dialog boxes that would come up,
> with different options, some of which did not include showing a diff.

I haven't ran across that, but the  again I always do upgrades from the
command line.

I used to stop and consider each of these prompts during an upgrade, but
now I tend to just select the option to keep my customized version
always. Post upgrade I then run a find command to show the config
collisions and then at my leisure I merge the local changes (tracked
with RCS) into the new versions, if there are useful updates, and
generally clean up the temporary files. Someday I'd like to use
something more powerful than RCS that could make the merge process less
manual, like bzr.

> I do use nVidia proprietary driver on all three machines, and all three
> worked fine.

Good to know.

Bill Bogstad wrote:
> My Myth BE is still running 0.21 so my biggest problem was with the
> FE software.  I ended up installing the 9.04 FE debs and the result
> is acceptable.

I take it you couldn't find any "back" (forward) ports of 0.21 to 9.10?

> Oh, I forgot to mention sound.  As seems to be the case with any Linux
> system I've touched in years, it was a pain. It's more or less working
> again.

I'm hoping with this upgrade I'll finally not have to build the ALSA
driver from source after every kernel update. But I won't be surprised
if that's still the case.

Laura Conrad wrote:
> With 9.10, I never did really get the screensaver/power management
> working right, so I'm still running 9.4 on the desktop.

I don't have power management - specifically suspend/hibernate - working
with 8.10 or 9.04 on the laptop in question, so if it doesn't work in
9.10 I won't be any worse off. (As I recall the problem I had was that
the video card didn't turn on after resuming. Probably something that
can be scripted around, given enough time to experiment. I tend to keep
the machine doing stuff most of the time, so I haven't felt compelled to
solve this.)

Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> I would encourage you to make a backup of your system, and just go for it.

Of course. The system gets its data backed up automatically, but this
reminds me that I've never created a set of "bare-metal" recovery DVDs
for it. Time to fire up Mondo Rescue.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro