Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10 upgrade

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 1:33 AM, Tom Metro <tmetro-blu-5a1Jt6qxUNc at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Anyone encounter any show stoppers in your upgrade from Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10?

I recently upgraded both my laptop and desktop all the way from 8.04
to 9.10 (which I had to do via the intervening releases).  The worst
part about it was just how SLOW it was.  If you have more then one
machine with the same architecture, I would highly recommend sharing
your apt cache in some way.  Downloading time was so bad, that I tried
downloading the alternative ISOs via Bittorrent which was much faster.
 You can use them as a source for an upgrade (google for it).
Unfortunately, it still seemed like it had to download almost all the
packages anyway.  It might be better on a 9.04 to 9.10 upgrade....

The laptop was running x86_64 while the desktop was running the x86
server (now pae?) release.   I was running ATI's proprietary X server
on the desktop and ended up removing it and I haven't bothered to
install the newest version.  My DHCP/private DNS domain server configs
required a little manual intervention, but it was pretty
straightforward stuff.

[obligatory mythtv comment]  My Myth BE is still running 0.21 so my
biggest problem was with
the FE software.  I ended up installing the 9.04 FE debs and the
result is acceptable.   I can't seem to
pause while watching a recording, but I don't use the desktop as an FE
that often and haven't cared enough to fix it.

As for the other issues that you noted, my biggest concern was with
grub and I had no problems with either machine.  Just dumb luck I
guess.

Bill Bogstad