another Comcast head-end goes digital

Mark J Dulcey wrote:
> They're not required to provide it unencrypted. They can EITHER do so,
> or provide free cable boxes to all basic cable subscribers...

Thanks for the clarification. I had a feeling that wasn't quite right as
I had it stated.

> In the analog cable days the cable guys could block a house from
> receiving specific channels by using traps. That doesn't work with
> digital...

Right...and that's why I didn't mention filters.

Richard Pieri wrote:
> At the very least, my cable neighborhood appears not to have Clear
> QAM for the broadcast channels.  Whether this is a problem at the
> head-end...

Seems most likely.

> ...or a filter somewhere or what is yet to be determined.

I've never heard of digital video encryption being implemented at the
neighborhood concentrator level, so that seems highly unlikely, but I'm
no expert.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro