virtualizing XP under Linux and remote IE testing

You can get MSIE working under WINE or Crossover Office.  Crossover
Office lists IE6 as Silver and IE7 as Bronze.
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?sort[app_name]=3DAS=
C;curPos=3D50
IES4Linux is another way to install MSIE6 under WINE.
http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page

Note that Crossover Office supports Macs. You should get better
performance out of Crossover Office/WINE than running Windows virtualized=
=2E

Additionally, I have run Windows XP under Virtualbox. I don't want to
comment on performance, but if you do virtualize, the amount of memory
you have as well as the number of cores will make a significant
difference. Additionally, you can set the network up in several
different ways (VMWare, Virtualbox and I ASSUME others). You can use NAT
with is the default, but you can also bind it directly to a specific
network interface.

On 01/20/2010 11:42 PM, Ryan Pugatch wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I currently have 32 Windows XP machines virtualized on a CentOS machine=
=20
> under Xen.  They're used for testing websites under IE (and are accesse=
d=20
> via RDP).  Unfortunately, I have been having horrible performance issue=
s=20
> with Windows XP under Xen.  I've emailed the centos-virt list to see if=
=20
> anyone has ideas about that.  What I'm hoping to find out from people o=
n=20
> this list is other suggestions on what to use to virtualize XP under=20
> Linux or if Xen is what most people are using.  Secondly, I'm curious=20
> what people use for testing sites under Internet Explorer (my devs all =

> use Macs, and I don't want to have them virtualize on their machines). =

> Plus, they need to be able to test under IE6 and IE7/8.
>  =20

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846