chrome, Google DNS

On Jan 16, 2010, at 5:59 PM, Rajiv Aaron Manglani wrote:

>> Anyone ran across a DNS benchmarking tool for Linux? It would be useful
>> to see whether the Google DNS servers really offer any advantage
>> compared to your ISP's servers.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/namebench/

Benchmarking DNS is useless if you have a local or near-local cache.  That's the point: once a host's records are cached you don't need to do the expensive resolution again for a while (whatever the TTL is on the records).  Including Google's DNS in your resolver list may help reliability, particularly if your ISP's DNS is dodgy, but if you want performance on lookups then cache them locally.

--Rich P.