Trouble installing Linux on circa-1999 Compaq Presario

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> And certainly "acpi=off"
> But, I don't think this is the problem. One reason I suggested a hard
> disk install is to limit the I/O to a single channel.

Good point, and although the OP is getting into an area of diminishing
returns, this I/O problem might relate to the transition from the legacy
IDE driver to the ATA driver (libata) in modern kernels.

Read more about it here:
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

Though 2008 should be well past the transition point (that article was
last updated in 2007, but I think the transition started years before
that), with fewer people using the legacy IDE driver, there may have
been regressions introduced, or the newer libata might not have been
adequately tested with the old IDE hardware. (It sounds like libata is
only used for SATA hardware, so assuming you're using PATA, the old IDE
driver should be in use.)

If this is the case, you might be able to use Jerry's suggested
technique to kick off an install from a running Linux environment built
using the older distribution you found to work. Then patch up the new
installation with a custom kernel using the older IDE driver.

Or add an IDE (with a different chipset) or SATA controller card, or
switch to USB storage.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro