LAN interface bouncing when wireless bridge in use

Thanks for reading this: I've got an unusual problem, and I'm hoping
someone else may have seen it.

I have a Debian server, which is working OK when connected to my LAN via
a regular Ethernet cord. However, SWMBO has decided that it looks better
on the other side of the room, so I have attempted to use a Linksys
WAP-54G in "Wireless Bridge" mode to connect the server to my router,
which is a WRT-54G. The server's LAN card has a fixed IP address.

The setup works OK when connected to my laptop, but when I switch the
Ethernet cord to the server, I get a series of messages that alternate
between "IFUP" and "IFDOWN", repeating endlessly until I force the link
down manually. Resetting the WAP-54G makes no difference.

Has anyone seen this before?

Bill

--
E. William Horne