Trouble installing Linux on circa-1999 Compaq Presario

Changed the RAM, reset the BIOS, changed the ribbon cables, still does
not install, same errors.  At this point, I've spent too much time
trying to get it to work, so I've decided it's just not worth it now.

Thank you for the replies thus far, I appreciate them.