how do you back up data on your home computer?

On Jan 7, 2010, at 8:58 PM, John Abreau wrote:

> In order to free up space for the two failed restores that we deleted,
> it decided to silently delete the backups we were trying to restore from,
> before letting us restore from them. She had had Time Machine backups
> dating back about four months, and after Time Machine did its cleanup,
> her backups only went back 12 hours.

???

I think I understand what happened.  I agree that Time Machine needs some UI improvements.  On the other hand, the silent cleanup is necessary for a backup mechanism that's really a LIFO queue or it'd be barking at you every frickin' hour after a while.

On the other pseudopod, I suspect a certain amount of pilot error involved as well.  It's very easy to overthink manual restores when in fact the best way to restore an application's data is to open the app, enter Time Machine from the menu widget, and do your restore.

--Rich P.