how do you back up data on your home computer?

I have a user at work with a MacBook laptop who uses Time Machine.
I had to help her once to restore her local Entourage mail folders, as
when she removed the old mail account from our old mail server when
the server was decommissioned, Entourage decided to delete all her
local mail folders as well.

The first two attempts failed to retrieve the local folders, but I think I had
figured out the problem, and we started a third attempt. At that point
Time Machine wouldn't let us access the backups until it "cleaned up".

In order to free up space for the two failed restores that we deleted,
it decided to silently delete the backups we were trying to restore from,
before letting us restore from them. She had had Time Machine backups
dating back about four months, and after Time Machine did its cleanup,
her backups only went back 12 hours.

Needless to say, I was not impressed with Time Machine.  Or Entourage,
for that matter.