relational database for personal email storage

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Richard Pieri <richard.pieri-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Jan 7, 2010, at 1:05 PM, R. Luoma wrote:
>>
>> What suggestions do people have?
>
> Don't. ?Stuffing your mail into a database isn't going to make it faster.
>
> Use an indexing engine. ?There are several available. ?I've used Beagle before. ?It works well, but it was overkill for what I needed.

See also: gmail

Seriously. Google Apps for Business, Standard Edition. 100% free (as
in beer), and you can put your own domain out there. I just moved mine
over a few days ago, and absolutely loving it[*]. Enable keyboard
shortcuts, and gmail's web ui even feels a bit like mutt. And
obviously, the search capabilities, filtering capabilities, etc., are
second to none.

[*] I got tired of maintaining my own mail server. I don't have time
or patience for maintenance anymore, would like to lower my power bill
and possibly even drop to a standard residential fios connection...
This gets much much closer to being able to do that.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org