which wiki to wiki...

Stephen Adler wrote:
> Any of you guys have a favourite wiki engine you use?

I've always found the markup syntax inconsistent in MediaWiki, and the
functionality to be limited. People seem to install it almost by
default, which is unfortunate.

Wikispaces is great for situations where outsourcing your wiki to a
hosting provider is appropriate.

But ultimately I'll add another vote for Twiki. I haven't set one up in
a few years, but you can make it do just about anything if you're
willing to put the time in. And that doesn't necessarily mean modifying
the core Perl code. It's extensively configurable and programmable from
the web UI. Plus there's a big library of plugins.

I do, however, read that there has been con controversy around the
project, and a fork spun off, http://foswiki.org/. A few months back the
people behind the fork obtained a backup of the twiki.org user records,
sent out a mass mailing promoting the fork, followed a few days later
with an email from the Twiki founder refuting the claims in the prior
email. Whatever...but the point is you'll probably want to assess both
projects and see which is on the track you want to follow.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA