audio editor

Any recommendations for an audio editor (for Linux) that would be good
for normalizing, (dynamic range) compressing, and noise reducing a voice
recording? (I have a few voice recordings that were made on low quality
hardware, and they have digitization noise artifacts that sound like
static.)

I tried Audacity, as that's what I hear mentioned most often, and I found:

-It locked up X twice. (Once with 1.3.7, as packaged for Ubuntu 9.04,
and again with 1.3.10, that I backported from 9.10.)

-The normalizer doesn't normalize that much. It's supposed to eliminate
DC offsets, if that option is checked, but it doesn't work unless only a
small sample of audio is selected. (I'm guessing it averages the entire
selection to find the center point, so if the DC offset wavers over the
selected area, it does nothing.)

-The compressor doesn't compress. The expectation is that dynamic range
compression should take any audio below a threshold and amplify it,
while leaving peaks above that threshold as-is. It worked some, but
given the adjustments it provides, I should have been able to boost all
but the highest peaks to be near full volume. All I seemed to be able to
do was raise the noise floor. (An expected side effect, but the
medium-volume audio should have gotten much louder too.)

-The noise reduction filter had no effect. It has some UI problems too.
You're supposed to select a portion of the audio that contains only the
noise, enter the effect's dialog and click a button, which exits the
dialog. Then select the range you want to process and re-enter the
effect's dialog, and hit a different button. This is a pretty clumsy
design, and the dialog provides no feedback as to whether it has a noise
sample stored. In any case, multiple attempts produced no noticeable
difference, regardless of the settings.

I'm hoping there is something better available.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA