Dell Inspiron 1545, VM, and no 64-bit

On 01/01/2010 09:47 AM, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> I find it interesting that my 64-bit Dell Inspiron (I have successfully=

> installed 64-bit Ubuntu and 64-bit CentOS as hosts, reformatting the
> hard drive between them), but yet 64-bit installs of vmware and
> virtualbox complain the host will not allow a 64-bit OS to be
> installed as a guest (I want to create 64-bit VMs).
>
> I'm going to also try Fedora and Solaris, but I don't expect it will
> change much.
>
> Are both vmware and virtualbox simply not able to handle 64-bit OSes
> yet for VMs, though I've seen posting claiming otherwise?
>
>  =20
As a test I just installed 64-bit Ubuntu under Virtualbox (specifically
VirtualBox-3.1-3.1.0_55467_fedora12-1.x86_64).
I do have virtualization support enabled on my system. After
installation I'll reboot to see if things work with virtualization
support disabled in the BIOS.

Basically, if you have virtualization supported by your CPU, you also
need it supported by the chipset and the BIOS. As has been discussed, it
is almost always disabled by default.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846