Dell Inspiron 1545, VM, and no 64-bit

   Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 09:47:59 -0500
   From: Scott Ehrlich <srehrlich-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

   I find it interesting that my 64-bit Dell Inspiron (I have
   successfully installed 64-bit Ubuntu and 64-bit CentOS as hosts,
   reformatting the hard drive between them), but yet 64-bit installs
   of vmware and virtualbox complain the host will not allow a 64-bit
   OS to be installed as a guest (I want to create 64-bit VMs).

   I'm going to also try Fedora and Solaris, but I don't expect it will
   change much.

   Are both vmware and virtualbox simply not able to handle 64-bit OSes
   yet for VMs, though I've seen posting claiming otherwise?

Is the userland (not just the kernel) 32 bit or 64 bit?  I know for
certain that VirtualBox allows 64-bit guests.