managing DNS

Tom Metro wrote:
> Greg Rundlett (freephile) wrote:
>
>> At work I have over 700 domains to manage.
>> GoDaddy is apparently ill-equipped to handle a large number of zone
>> transfers...
>>

> I don't have specific suggestions for a service provider to handle that
> quantity of domains, but I personally wouldn't even consider GoDaddy.
> They're a mass-market cookie-cutter operation that isn't likely to
> accommodate any special requirements you have, and is probably optimized
> for customers with a few domains. Then there is their business
> practices...  (I stopped using GoDaddy several years ago.)

I use PowerDNS to manage a relatively large number of domain names.

http://www.powerdns.com/

PowerDNS can talk to a database, so I set up a MySQL database as the
backing, then I wrote some other tools to manage the database.

Any changes to the database is instantly reflected in PowerDNS. And I
like being able to make broad sweeping changes to lots of domain names
with just a SQL query or two, though the tool I wrote handles my most
common operations automatically.

And, of course, backing up the DNS settings is just a MySQLDump away! :-)

Feel free to contact me if you like to pick my brains. 603-557-5986

-Fred Mitchell