Assigning a character to a function key (David Hummel)

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009, Derek Martin wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 10:25:25PM -0500, Stephen Ronan wrote:
>> and then did this:
>> xmodmap /usr/share/xmodmap/xmodmap.us
>
> Are you sure that's the xmodmap file your system is using?  If you
> only made that one modification, it seems odd that the rest of your
> keyboard would go wonky.

I don't know how to tell... except that when i made the edit
assigning "u" to F12 in that particular file, that worked...
though most everything else in the keyboard started acting weird.

> I'd try this:
> $ xmodmap -pke > keymap
> edit the file keymap to change F12 to u as you desire
> $ xmodmap keymap

Excellent. That works! Thanks! As with your attempt. The
shift-F12 doesn't create an upper case version. But the caps lock
does get me an upper case.

None of the remapping survivea a reboot and I'm trying
unsuccessfully to figure out how to get it to run automatically
at startup in this Ubuntu-based Linux Mint distro. Most recently
I put
xmodmap keymap
as the sole line in a file called .xmodmaprc in my home
directory. But that doesn't work. Previously had tried to edit an
rcS file in /etc/init.d without success.
Unfortunately, I'm not a very experienced Linux user. And would
be grateful for further assistance.

     - Stephen